Last week was Selfish Sewing Week and I actually managed to sew a couple of things that have been on my to-sew list for quite awhile and that would fit into my fall capsule wardrobe. I have had this “Poppy” cut out and ready to sew for a little while out of a ponte black knit (similar found here, here (affiliate link), and here) that is perfect for the quickly approaching cooler weather.
I made this “Poppy” in a size X-Large so it would be a little bit on the looser side of things, but I probably good have gone with the Large since I have been losing quite of bit of weight. It was a really quick sew minus the part where my serger decided that the top knife was done. After a quick trip to the sewing store for a new blade I was back in business on this top! I also did the neckline with the unexposed binding and left the binding exposed on the sleeves. Sort of a mix’n’match of seam finishes.
I love a good graphic tee, so I set about making my own. Using a Cricut Explore, I cut out the iron transfer. I choose the phrase “seriously” because right now that is totally my word of choice… the kids hear that one a lot!? After you cut out the transfer according to the manufacturer’s instructions, you remove the negative space, and proceed with ironing the transfer on to the shirt. I eyeballed the placement on this one, but did try to center it and get it straight. I followed the instructions for ironing as well. The process looks a little like this:
This was a Halloween shirt that I made for S and I made a skull one for X. I bought the shirts and just ironed it on. The only difference that I did with the pressing was at the very end after removing the plastic, I placed the press cloth over the area and ironed it one more time. The kids loved their new shirts as well!
Anyways, this shirt is sure to be one of those overly worn tops and the fact that it’s perfect for wearing under cardigans is even better. It’s a fantastic weekend project and another item crossed of my Fall Capsule Wardrobe sewing list. You can find the free downloadable “Poppy” pattern here.